Hi Hans VdM and Wolfgang,

It is true that naming a variable PYR, even in plain TeX, as shown below, gives
rise to an ugly mathematical symbol since there is a certain distance between

        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316076/spacing-plain.pdf

The problem may be the bounding box of « Y ».
However, I think that in the example given by Hans VdM in mkiv, there is
another, more important, issue which is the way the commas are treated between
the variables Q, Y, N, P, Y, Z in math italic. Please compare the following
outputs, one obtained with mkii and the other with mkiv:

        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316076/spacing-mkii.pdf

        http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4316076/spacing-mkiv.pdf

I think that this is a big issue in typesetting maths with mkiv since
punctuations are treated in an incorrect way.

Best regards: OK
PS: Sorry for the delay… yesterday this message was rejected when sent with the
attached PDFs, because it was over 64Kb.