Am 01.04.2011 11:39, schrieb Tim Steenvoorden:
> Dear list,
>
> I'm trying to make some fancy chapter headers. With MetaPost I drew a
> wave, which I'd like to place in the margin. I've read details.pdf and
> metafun.pdf, but I don't manage to get the positioning right. The wave
> should begin where the bottomframe ends and move on to the page
> border. Also, the graphic is placed in the page background layer, but
> nevertheless the text after the the graphic is shifted down.
>
> \startuniqueMPgraphic{wave}
> numeric periods, width;
> path wave;
> periods := 3 + 1/4;
> width   := periods * 2*pi;
> wave    := origin for x=0 step 0.1 until width:
>              -- (x,x*sin(x))
>            endfor;
> pickup pencircle scaled 1pt;
> draw wave xscaled (OverlayWidth/width) yscaled (OverlayHeight/(2*width));
> \stopuniqueMPgraphic
>
> \definelayer[decorations][position=yes,option=test,location=r]
> \setupbackgrounds[page][background=decorations]
> \defineoverlay[wave][\uniqueMPgraphic{wave}]
>
> \starttext
>
> {\ss\bfc A chapter title}
> \blank[small]
> \framed[frame=off,bottomframe=on,width=broad,rulethickness=1pt]
>  {\ss\bfx \date \hfill Author Name}
> \setlayer[decorations]{\framed[background=wave,frame=off,width=\cutspace,height=2\lineheight]{}}
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stoptext
>
> What am I doing wrong? Is it a better idea to draw the bottomframe in
> MetaPost too? How do I take care of positioning in that case? Absolute
> positioning is not an option, because the length of the chapterheads
> can be two lines. It should also work on other paper sizes (A5 in
> particular).

Don't ask me. I have no experience with layers in combination with
'position=yes'. Anyhow, IMO it's much easier to draw all in one graphic
than try to attach the MP graphic with the frame(d) border. Also: I have
no idea how to do it :-)

I attached a working example, but it's more a starting point than a
final solution.

Best wishes,  Peter

> Kind regards,
> Tim Steenvoorden

%\setuppapersize[A5][A5]

\startuniqueMPgraphic{wave}{wl}
numeric periods, width;
path wave;
periods := 3 + 1/4;
width   := periods * 2*pi;
wl      := \MPvar{wl};
ll      := OverlayWidth-wl;
wave    := (origin for x=0 step 0.1 until width:
             .. (x,x*sin(x))
            endfor) xscaled -1; % mirror (no shift correction needed)
pickup pencircle scaled 1pt;
draw reverse(wave xscaled (wl/width) yscaled (OverlayHeight/2width))--(ll,0);
\stopuniqueMPgraphic

\definelayer[decorations][position=yes,option=test,location=r,dx=-\cutspace]
\setupbackgrounds[page][background=decorations]
\defineoverlay[wave][\uniqueMPgraphic{wave}{wl=\cutspace}]

\starttext
\showframe[text]

{\ss\bfc A chapter title}
\blank[small]
\framed[frame=off,width=broad]
 {\ss\bfx \date \hfill Author Name}%
\setlayer[decorations]{\framed[background=wave,frame=off,width=\dimexpr\cutspace+\makeupwidth,height=2\lineheight,offset=overlay]{}}

\input knuth