OK, now maybe I get it. This might help someone...

It's the **contents** of the layer that get repeated if you set
repeat=yes in \definelayer - as in
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Layers

If you do a \setlayer then this simply adds to the existing stack of
contents displayed on the layer.  You get more and more stuff until
you do a \resetlayer, assuming you set  repeat=yes in the
\definelayer. Thus(?) \definelayer is all about the contents of the
layer (? Apart from setting the dimensions and so on... I think that's
what deflected me into thinking that this command was about the
canvas, and the \setlayer about the contents.)

The \setupbackgrounds[page][state=repeat,background={XXX}] is the
command that puts the logical layer on each page.

If this seems about right then I'll have a go at adding a sentence or
two to the wiki...maybe on-one else thinks of it in terms of the
existence and then the population of a layer...?