>> I'm in need for a few custom cite commands like these:
>>
>> 1. \cite[alternative=authortitle, extras={, p.\,13}][citekey] should yield
>>
>> {\sc AuthorLastName}, AuthorFirstName, {\it title}, p.\,13
>>
>> 2. \cite[alternative=title][citekey]
>>
>> {\it title}
>>
>> How would I code these commands?
>
> There is no quick answer to this. The easiest way is to use the \getcitedata
> command to create a dedicated macro for the class
> you need, and that is explained in the bib module manual.
>
> Otherwise, you will have to dive into the sources to see how e.g.
> '\bibauthoryearref' and '\bibshortref' are implemented. If you create the
> \bibtitleref and \bibauthortitleref macros, these will be executed
> automatically.

Many thanks, Taco!

I'm realizing I asked you the same kind of question three years beforeā€¦
apologies for forgetting. In any case I've just tried the solution you gave me
back then (based on \getcitedata) but unfortunately it doesn't work any longer:
the \specialcite command below doesn't output anything for me.

---
\startpublication
        [a=Kitaev,
         k=Kitaev:2003,
         t=article,
         y=2003]
         \artauthor{Alexei~Y.}[A.\,Y.]{}{Kitaev}
         \arttitle{Fault-tolerant quantum computation by anyons}
         \journal{Annals of Physics}
         \pages{2--30}
         \pubyear{2003}
         \volume{303}
\stoppublication

\def\MYauthor#1#2#3#4#5{#4\,{\sc #3}}
\def\specialcite#1[#2]%
        {\bgroup
         \getcitedata[author1][#2] to \mauthors
         \getcitedata[title][#2] to \mtitle
         \expandafter\MYauthor\mauthors: {\it\mtitle}%
         \egroup}

\starttext

\specialcite[Kitaev:2003]

\cite[authoryear][Kitaev:2003]