On 2011-05-07 <13:23:18>, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 07.05.2011 um 12:19 schrieb Philipp Gesang:
>
> > Hi Mojca & all,

> >> That people using TeX Live could also install it.
> >
> > True, but I was, rather selfishly, thinking about what it would
> > imply for the module author. Permanent maintenance of one release
> > over a year? Is it really worth it? After all, most people who
> > come to this list asking for help with their TL context are
> > advised to switch to the minimals.
>
> The problem with texlive inclusion is that you can’t use
> new features from context which aren’t available in the texlive
> version, e.g. \definenamespace was added after the texlive 2010
> freeze and therefore you can’t use the command for modules
> which are on ctan and texlive.

> >> Do you have any suggestion how it should look like and how it should
> >> work? mtx-update is kind-of package manager, but I admit that I miss
> >> some GUI (but then again I have no idea how to write a portable GUI).
> >
> > The GUI would be the last thing I’d start worrying about.
> > Basically it would have to receive a list of locations and the
> > respective VCS, like for instance: ::
> >
> >  t-filter,       git, https://github.com/adityam/filter.git
> >  transliterator, hg,  https://bitbucket.org/phg/transliterator
> >
> > Then it would call the VCS to checkout the tip (or latest tag or
> > whatever). Each should have a “.install.lua” in the base dir
> > containing instructions about where the files should go. (Best
> > thing is, probably, that no compilation is necessary because
> > everything’s plain text.) A local register could contain version
> > information, filenames, paths etc. of the modules installed.
>
> +1
>
> But when we have should a file it shouldn’t be requires
> to have a TDS for the project files because it’s a mess
> to work on a module when you have so many subdirectories.
>
> When you take a look at one of my modules [1] you can see
> that all my source files under “files” directory and i create
> the zip with the correct paths from a tex file. When you can
> something similar with Lua and a text file everything
> is perfect.
>
> [1] https://bitbucket.org/wolfs/annotation/src

Yes, I know that. But symlinks to a testing directory do the
trick as well; but that’s another OS specific matter … The
install instructions would probably have to look like

  [1] = { "./subdir/file1.ext", "target/dir/in/ctx/tree/file1.ext", "md5sum" },

So it would work either way. (The md5 could be redundand due to
VCS already hashing stuff.)

Philipp