On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Hans Hagen <pra...@wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 12-5-2011 3:42, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>>> Shouldn't that be something like e=mc²?
>>
>> No. IIRC, we had a discussion sometime ago whether we should treat ¹,²,
>> etc as
>> valid superscripts in math mode, and decided against it.
>
> how about an article (for the maps/tugboat) about good math coding practices
> in these unicode times

Or a new book: "Joy of ConTeXt" (for those who remember Spivak's "Joy of TeX").

Authors are going to provide tex sorce files that use e=mc² (and
unless someone does SEO
to ensure they find the afore mentioned article) will consider it a
bug when it doesn't work.
Other sources of confusion come when authors use a fixed font to edit
and try to match
glyphs (using Windows CharMap or BabelMap): you get 45˚N when it
should be 45°N),
or use auctex+preview in which $e=mc^2$ gives $e=mc^²$ in the emacs window.

There is a need for a TeXCharTool that does BabelMap stuff but
provides annotations describing appropriate TeX usages and can be
searched using legacy TeX markup (e.g., to assist with
converting old docs to unicode).

--
George N. White III <aa...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Head of St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia