On 15-5-2011 12:39, Taco Hoekwater wrote:
On 05/15/2011 11:35 AM, Steffen Wolfrum wrote:
Hi Hans,

while finishing a big project (900 pages, 300 floating tables/figures)
I noticed that the first line of each page is moving up/down (almost
half a line)!

Reason: As soon a a floating object is placed the next page is disturbed.

please don't use URGENT in a subject ... the bolder the subject, the lower it moves on my todo list (and the sooner it moves out of my inbox view)

The problem is that the vertical space collapser is collapsing *into*
topskip's spec field, thereby changing its value. That much is
clear to me. I do not know how to fix this nicely, but a crude
workaround to fix your project is:

\appendtoks \global\topskip=10pt plus 50pt \to \everyafteroutput

Taco:

in spac-ver.lua this helps ...

--~ ps = writable_spec(previous) -- no writable needed here --~ ps.width, ps.stretch, ps.shrink = pw + cw, pp + cp, pm + cm
previous.spec = nodes.pool.gluespec(pw + cw, pp + cp, pm + cm)

so, we run into this writable mess again (maybe copying a gluespec in the engine when a topskip is injected is the best solution) ... ok, eventually gluespecs will become fields in a glue node so it's a temporary roblem