On 20-6-2011 4:01, Thomas Schmitz wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:39:21 +0200
Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfg...@googlemail.com> wrote:

Am 20.06.2011 um 14:56 schrieb Thomas Schmitz:

How? I can only see the option of creating a whole new set of
footnotes, which is not at all what I want:

The following is the best i can do (to change the symbol each \MyNote
you need a counter for it):

\define[1]\MyNote
{\bgroup
\savenumber [footnote]%
\resetnumber[footnote]%
\setupnote[footnote][numberconversion=set 2]%
\footnote{#1}%
\restorenumber[footnote]%
\egroup}

\starttext

This is just a test!\MyNote{With a footnote attached.}

This is just a test!\footnote{With a footnote attached.}

\stoptext

Wolfgang

Thanks Wolfgang! This "starred" footnote is often used for
acknowledgments etc. in articles, and it's always the first note, often
appended to the title. So I come back to my first attempt: this does
work, and unless one wants unusual symbols in the middle of ordinary
footnotes, seems like the easiest solution:

\setupfootnotes[rule=off]

\starttext

This is just a test!{\setupfootnotes[numberconversion=set
2]\footnote{With a footnote attached.}\resetnumber[footnote]}

As we already can disable a number it's no big deal to add the option for an alternative symbol:

\setupfootnotes[rule=off]

\definenote[starrednote][footnote][numberconversion=set 2]
\setupnote[footnote][symbol={$*$}]

\starttext

This is just a test!\footnote   {Just a footnote (a).}
This is just a test!\starrednote{Just a footnote (b).}
This is just a test!\footnote[-]{Just a footnote (-).}
This is just a test!\footnote[+]{Just a footnote (+).}
This is just a test!\footnote   {Just a footnote (c).}
This is just a test!\starrednote{Just a footnote (d).}
This is just a test!\footnote   {Just a footnote (e).}

\typefile{symbols-001.tex}

\stoptext

I'll put a beta on the ftp (as I needed to adapt some description related code and as usual I'll have made some typos so you depend on Wolfgang's checking. Wolfgang: we have a new key 'symbol' for enumerations and footnotes.)

On the agenda is a merged flush of notes so that you can have a new instance and flush in the same order (I remember experimenting with it but probably never finished it).