I am trying to upgrade an existing document from using texexec and
pdftex to context and luatex.  Unfortunately, the document relies pretty
heavily on columns (using \startcolumns[n=2,tolerant=verytolerant]) and
the idea that figures that are too wide to place in a column float to
the top of the next page.

Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the case with the current
minimals.  The following example works fine for texexec (even if I
comment out the \startpostponing \stoppostponing code).  The figure is
placed (centered) at the top of page 2.  With MKIV, however, the figure
stays in the first column and bleeds over into the second column (the
postponing code does change it to the next page, but it doesn't force it
out of the column).

\enableregime[utf-8]

\starttext
\startcolumns
\chapter[chap:testing]{Testing}

\startcolumns[n=2, tolerant=verytolerant]
\input knuth

%\startpostponing
  \placefigure
    [center][fig:foo]
    {none}
    {\externalfigure[foo][]
      [width=1.5\textwidth]}
%\stoppostponing

\input tufte

\input knuth

\input tufte

\input knuth

\input tufte

\stopcolumns

I am using the Context minimal distribution (on Linux) and context
reports that the current version as:

current version: 2011.06.29 09:57

It is quite likely that I am simply doing this wrong, but I have read:

http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Columns

and it appears to support what I am trying to do.  I have experimented a
bit with columnsets, but they appear to be overkill for my use.  Then
again, I am probably doing it wrong.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Jason Earl