On Thu, 14 Jul 2011, John Haltiwanger wrote:

PS. For what it is worth, I do not think it would be _too_ hard to create a
Context to Markdown translator.

Yes. A while back I did some tests (though I cannot find them now), and had most of the basic ConTeXt-to-markdown working (sections, blockquotes, typing, itemize, footnotes (via endnotes); but no tables and figures). The main idea was to *typeset* the output as you would expect a markdown documnet to be, and then use pdftotext to convert it to text. (Hans had mentioned this as a possible way to convert to HTML during TUG 2009).

Aditya