Yes, we are having the two faces same problem, I guess.
The fact is that \booktitle in the crossref'ed publication should be processed
as a \title item in the citatation crossreff'd. The error in my case boils down
to the fact that the title-entry is called without being actually present.

With the missing \title sofar I have nailed it down to macro \bibgetvart#1 from
the following bbl entry:

\startpublication[k=campbell:92,t=inproceedings,
a={{Campbell},{Wiener}},y=1992,
.. (no \title)
\stoppublication

and log printing in the log from the modified macro:
\def\bibgetvart#1{\writestatus{ERROR}{Parameter <#1> on bibgetvart
\expandafter\string\csname pbd:#1\endcsname}\csname pbd:#1\endcsname\plussix}%

I find the log:
ERROR           > Parameter <campbell:92> on bibgetvart \pbd:campbell:92
ERROR           > Parameter <> on bibgetvart \pbd:
! Missing \endcsname inserted.

Thus the missing \title thus seems to result in extra call to a bibliography
entry that does not exist.
This is about as far as I am at the moment in analyzing the problem.

Hans van der Meer