On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 20:47, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> E.g. if you’ve full access to a web server

We do.

> you could use jAlbum (album-only app)

Thank you. I have not dealt with gallery software for ages, so this is
the first time that I hear about it.

> or your photo management app (iPhoto, Picasa, ...) to generate HTML.
> Or you use a service like Picasaweb (don’t know if Flickr knows semi-public
> albums).

I don't want Facebook to handle photos. And I'm not particularly fond
of Picassa and Flickr either. That is for people who don't want to pay
for their own server & care about maintainance to share just a few
nice photos.

iPhoto and Picasa are somewhat limited with OS and the person
uploading photos. I would prefer a web-based solution, so that a few
people can easily upload photos without having to care about their OS
and other technical details.

> Or you use an album module of some CMS.
> Or you install a standalone album webapp (then chose a PHP or Ruby or Python
> or whatever based one...)

I mostly asked because I bet that there are many people who tested
many solutions and know why one solution is worse than the other.

Requirements that come to my mind:
- ability to make protected albums (probably a strict requirement)
- ability to easily download a bunch of photos (it is not a strict
requirement, but I would like to let participants download photos in
full resolution without having to right-click hundred times)
- nice user interface for end user (pretty important)
- not too difficult to upload photos (less important since it only has
to be done once)
- ability to export in some way if we decide to change gallery
software at some point (not strict requirement)
- ability to manage permissions (to let just a few people upload photos)
- not too commercial/limiting licence (I don't care if it is
commercial software as long as it doesn't require me to pay a lot of
money if more than three people browse through album)

Mojca