On 30-10-2011 09:44, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

Am 29.10.2011 um 18:27 schrieb Paul Menzel:

Dear ConTeXt folks,

some fractions (input using Compose) are not displayed in the resulting
PDF files.

        \starttext
        ⅛ ist $\frac18$.

        ½, ⅓, ¼, ⅕, ⅙, ⅛
        \stoptext

I guess this is a font problem, but maybe fall backs could be added?

You can’t expect from a font to have glyphs for each unicode symbol
and automatic fallbacks are problematic because the fallback font should
match with the regular font.

Indeed, and we should not go the route of all kind of messy fallbacks just because tex could do it (using active characters or whatever trickery) which on the average looks bad anyway. One should just choose a proper font for the job to be done.

I added a replace option to \enabletrackers[fonts.missing=replace] (can best be set before any font is loaded, so pretty soon) which will show missing characters. Also,

context s-fonts-missing.mkiv

will show the legend (in the next beta that is). Btw, we already have
\enabletrackers [fonts.missing] and \enabletrackers [fonts.missing=remove] for quite a while.