On 23-11-2011 19:23, Christian wrote:
Dear List,

I am experiencing a strange problem. I have a project, essentially with the
following structure (desperate attempt to keep track of my stuff):

mainfile.mkiv:
% BOF
....lots of setups and settings...
\starttext
\input metapostgraphics.mkiv
\input chapter1.mkiv
\input chapter2.mkiv
\input chapter3.mkiv
\stoptext
% EOF

I generate the PDF with 'context mainfile.mkiv'
So far for the structure. Now my problem:
metapostgraphics.mkiv contains several (4) metapost graphics with
\startuseMPgraphics{nameX} ... \stopuseMPgraphics.
In chapter2.mkiv I want to use them with \useMPgraphics{nameX}.
It worked well until today, when I added a fifth graphic. Then I suddenly get a
frame with 'undefined' inside instead of the picture.
I tried everything, checked for typos, tried different names, double checked
the MP-code etc. but to no avail.

It only works if I put the exact same MP-code between \startMPcode \stopMPcode
directly in the chapter2.mkiv

What is wrong here? Am I missing something? Did I get the input mechanism all
wrong?

What happens if you make a simple file with the 4 \useMPgraphics in it .. does that one process? Maybe there is a problem with the graphics in the sense that you cannto run them all in a row.