On 3 Dec 2011, at 16:40, Paul Menzel wrote:

> Dear ConTeXt folks,
>

> I am trying to format the title page for a diploma thesis. Looking at
> the Wiki most of the title or cover pages just have the title centered
> and maybe a subtitle right below [1].
>
>        \starttext
>        \definemakeup[titlepage][align=middle]
>
>        \starttitlepagemakeup
>        {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]University}
>        \blank[big]
>        {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]\sc Institute}
>        \vfill
>        {\definedfont[Serif at 20pt]Diploma thesis}
>        \blank[big]
>        {\definedfont[Serif at 30pt] \setstrut \strut Interesting topic}
>        \vfill
>        by John Doe
>        \stoptitlepagemakeup
>        \stoptext
>
> 1. Is using `\blank` the recommended way to format the page? Or is using
> boxes and placing them manually “better”?

There are different ways to do this. If your solution give the result you
desire... Not knowing wether this is better I use sometimes \godown[dimension]

> 2. Looking at the output it is not centered exactly and a little bit to
> the left. Why is this the default? Does anyone know? Looking at the
> manual [2] in chapter page design (p. 29, screen version) this seems to
> be the backspace value. Is there an easy way to center it according to
> the whole paper width? Additionally I would have guessed it to be more
> on the right when glueing or trussing up(?) (German binden) the pages.

Default is, that the page is centered on the paper, if the page and paper size
are the same. However if you want a binding correction
you need to do calculations yourself in order to be able to set the parameters
correct ly.

Check  for the setuplayout command.

\setuplayout
   [ backspace= left white+binding correction,
     width= text width which leaves enough whitespace at the right including
some cut space,
     topspace= top white including cut space,
     height= text height including header and footer space, leaving enough
bottom white and cut space,
     leftmargin= backspace - binding correction -  left margin distance,
     leftmargindistance= ...,
     rightmargin= ...,
     rightmargindistance= ...,
     marking=on,

Keep in mind that a book normally is cut after binding the bookblock at the
front, top and bottom that is what I indicate with cut  space.
Backspace and topspace define the upper left corner of the typesetting area.
Margin parameters do not influence the positioning of the typesetting area!

Willi