Hi Wolfgang,

Combing through various setups and definitions of my document, finally I could
find the culprit: the error message was due to the change in the way \color
should be used now.
Changing all over \color[darkred] (for instance) with
\startcolor[darkred]…\stopcolor, fixed the error messages. Since this may
happen with other users who have \color somewhere in their file, I give below
the minimal example I could find to show the problem.

Thank for your help: OK
%%% begin item-color.tex
\definefontsynonym[Wingdings][Wingdings.ttf]
%\definesymbol[Boite][{\color[darkgray]\getglyph{Wingdings}{\char113}}] %% this
creates problems….

%\definesymbol[Boite][{\color[darkgray]{\getglyph{Wingdings}{\char113}}}] %%
this is fine

\definesymbol[Boite][{\startcolor[darkgray]\getglyph{Wingdings}{\char113}\stopcolor}]
 %% this is fine

%\tracingmacros1
\setupitemize[Boite]
%\tracingmacros0