Hi, I’ve been experimenting a bit with converting some natural tables into
xtables and ran across two issues.

The first has to do with nested xtables and settings.  In particular, if you
attempt to set a cell’s width on the internal table using \setupxtable the
option is lost.  In the below example testtable1 doesn’t format properly when
nested; testtable2 does.  I also included some font and color examples to show
they cascade more as I’d expect (the outer table’s settings are used unless
overridden by the inner table).

The second thing I noticed is that attempting to set the font via
foregroundstyle only works when done vie \setupxtable.  Attempting to assign
this directly to the cell causes compile errors (the commented table in the
example).  Maybe I should be setting the font some other way?  (this is how I
always did it with natural tables).

Finally, does xtable have something like the aligncharacter mechanism in
natural tables?

Thanks,
Brian

\starttext

\setupxtable[wd1][background=color,backgroundcolor=yellow,width=1.0in]
\setupxtable[wd2][background=color,backgroundcolor=green,width=2.0in]
\setupxtable[fnit][foregroundstyle={\switchtobodyfont[modern,ss]\it}]
\setupxtable[fnbf][foregroundstyle={\switchtobodyfont[modern,ss]\bf}]

\startbuffer[testtable1]
\startxtable
\startxrow \startxcell[fnbf] bold \stopxcell \startxcell[wd1] 1in? \stopxcell
\stopxrow
\stopxtable
\stopbuffer

\startbuffer[testtable2]
\startxtable
\startxrow \startxcell[fnbf] bold \stopxcell
\startxcell[background=color,backgroundcolor=yellow,width=1.0in] 1in?
\stopxcell \stopxrow
\stopxtable \stopbuffer

\getbuffer[testtable1]
\getbuffer[testtable2]

\startxtable
\startxrow \startxcell[fnit] \getbuffer[testtable1] \stopxcell \startxcell[wd2]
\getbuffer[testtable1] \stopxcell \stopxrow
\startxrow \startxcell[fnit] \getbuffer[testtable2] \stopxcell \startxcell[wd2]
\getbuffer[testtable2] \stopxcell \stopxrow
\stopxtable

% below fails, foregroundstyle set in this fashion must be done through
\setuptable
%\startxtable
%\startxrow \startxcell[foregroundstyle={\switchtobodyfont[modern,rm]\it}]
italic \stopxcell \stopxrow
%\stopxtable