On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 01:25, Kip Warner <k...@thevertigo.com> wrote:

> In other situations, I find that for images that are not so important,
> they would benefit from ConTeXt rasterizing them when they are imported.
> The reason for this is I find some vector images get enormously bloated
> when they are typeset. As an example, I have a Logo.svg of only 6.8 KB.
> The m_k_i_v_Logo.pdf intermediate ConTeXt generates is nearly a megabyte
> in size. Why? I have no idea, as they both appear to be the same image
> with the same gausian blur.

If original svg image is 7 KB, the PDF should not be any bigger apart
from the header and maybe embded fonts. However if you are using some
smooth shading, it might be that the program which does the conversion
is performing a poor job and converts shading into hundreds of thin
strips of different colors.

I would try to use a different tool for conversion into PDF (not into
raster image, but into vector image) before running ConTeXt. I don't
know which one, but you can try to experiment.

Mojca