> Am 21.02.2012 um 10:19 schrieb Alasdair McAndrew:
>
>> I discovered this by hunting through font-ini.mkii:
>>
>> \setupbodyfontenvironment [default] [em={\slanted\color[red]}]
>
> Better \setupbodyfontenvironment[default][em={\sl\red}].

I was too fast, neither your nor mine version are valid. It does work
with mkii but not with mkiv where this will generate an error.

Adityas solution is one of a few methods which can be used in mkiv
and when you use mkii you can create a \emph command with
\definestartstop[emph][style=slanted,color=red].

Wolfgang