Am 24.02.2012 12:51, schrieb Jan Heinen:
> My book is ready and I want to print it next week.
>
> 1. The printer told me to set up my PDF with the following values:
> PDF/X-1a:2003,
> ISO Coated v2 (ECI)
>
> 2. And I did:
>
> \setupbackend
>  [format=PDF/X-1a:2003,
>   intent={ISO Coated v2 (ECI)}]
>
> 3. Then I send a test-PDF to my printer and got the following answer:
>
> 4. The printers answer in german:
> Die Ausgabebedingung ist mit FOGRA 39 hinterlegt. Dadurch erscheint eine
> falsche Farbvoransicht. FOGRA 39 sind "nur" Charakterisierungsdaten zur
> Erzeugung von ICC-Profilen für die entsprechenden Ausgabebedingungen.
> Wenn die Bilddaten in den "ISO Coated v2 (ECI)"  Farbraum separiert
> wurden, sollte dieser am Besten hier als Name hinterlegt werden. Die
> Kennung der Ausgabebedingung wäre "Fogra 39".
>
> I failed trying to translate this answer into english. I hope there is
> someone here who understands the german answer.

4. The printers answer in (d)english:
The output condition is set to 'FOGRA39', which results in wrong colors
in the output preview.
'FOGRA39' is 'only' the label for the characterization data, which are
used for the creation of icc profiles with according output conditions.
For the image data separation to the 'ISO Coated v2 (ECI)' color space
it's best to use the identifier 'Fogra 39'.

The related 'id' field is used to set the so called
'OutputConditionIdentifier' entry in the output intent. In the
definition of 'OutputConditionIdentifier' (PDF Reference, version 1.7,
p.971) it says:

    A typical value for this entry would be the name of a production
    condition maintained in an industry-standard registry such as
    the ICC Characterisation Data Registry (see the Bibliography). If
    the designated condition matches that in effect at production
    time, the production software is responsible for providing the
    corresponding ICC profile as defined in the registry.

Here is a list of the registered CMYK characterization data sets for
standard printing processes.

    http://www.color.org/chardata/drsection1.xalter

**Only capital letters, no spaces in the fogra entries.**
Mh, have I missed something here?

My assumption: the separation software makes the wrong decision based on
the 'OutputConditionIdentifier' entry.
A reason for this could be, that the icc profile for the output intent
is **NOT EMBEDDED**, so the software is forced to search its own icc
profile library (which fails).

Possible solution A:

embed the profile (\setupbackend[..., option=always] ) and hope
that the software uses the included profile (should be the standard)

Possible solution B:

change the 'id' entry to a proprietary standard and hope that the
software uses the right profile

Just out of curiosity: which separator software does the printing house use?

Best wishes,  Peter