On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 13:39:42 +0200
Steffen Wolfrum <cont...@st.estfiles.de> wrote:

> Am 05.04.2012 um 13:25 schrieb luigi scarso:
>
> > On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adit...@umich.edu>
> > wrote:
> >> (Untested)
> >>
> >> \startpostponing[+1]
> >> \placefigure[top]{}{...}
> >> \stoppostponing
> >>
> >> Rest of the text
> >>

> >> Aditya
> > \starttext
> >
> > \switchtobodyfont[rm,10pt]
> >
> > \input tufte \input ward \input zapf \input tufte \input ward \input
> > zapf \input tufte \input ward %
> > \input zapf \input tufte \input ward %
> > \input zapf HERE%
> > \startpostponing[+1]
> > \placefigure[top]{}{\vskip3pt\externalfigure[foo][frame=off,width=\dimexpr(\textwidth-10mm)]}
> > \stoppostponing%
> > AND HERE \input tufte \input ward %
> > \input zapf \input tufte \input ward \input zapf \input tufte \input
> > ward \input zapf \input tufte %
> > \input ward \input zapf \input tufte \input ward \input zapf
> >
> > \stoptext
> >
> > seems ok
>

> indeed, a great result.
> (searching for this command now, I saw that it's a quite old
> command ... only I never knew it)
>
> thanks a lot Aditya and Luigi!

I have been looking for a trick to place figures near their reference
in the text, without imposing a paragraph break.
This trick works (so thanks again to Aditya and Luigi):

\starttext

Some text is described \in{figure}[fig:reference].
\startpostponing[+0]
\startplacefigure[location=here,reference=fig:reference,
        title={This figure gets placed somewhere near its reference.}]
        \externalfigure[cow][width=\textwidth]
\stopplacefigure
\stoppostponing
The text continues here without a paragraph break.

\stoptext

A few comments:

1. The \startpostponing...\stoppostponing is necessary,
although some other wrapper around the placefigure might also work.

2. The % at the end of the lines in the above examples is not necessary
unless one seeks to kill the spacing between {HERE}{AND HERE}.

3. One should preferably be using \startplacefigure\stopplacefigure
(rather than \placefigure). Besides being cleaner, as a bonus
one gets to use title={},list={} for the figure caption and
list of figure entry.

Should placefigure be "fixed" somehow so as to hide its paragraph
break itself?

Alan