On Thu, 26 Apr 2012, Troy Henderson wrote:

I am trying to uncover content within an itemized list, and I am using
\phantom to get the desired effect.  However, I would like to tweak
the progress meter to consider these "pages" as the same instead of
separate.  I am pasting a minimal example below, and I would like to
know if

(1) there is a more "standard" way (instead of using \phantom) of
uncovering the second item in the itemized list

See s-pre-60.mkiv for a javascript based stepper and s-pre-61.mkiv for usage example (at the end).

Paul Isambert also has a javascript based stepper in the lecturer package but that package does not work with ConTeXt MkIV.

Personally, I find javascript based steppers to be unreliable as they don't work on all viewers. I either use \phantom or don't include the text at all. (I posted my stepping macros on the list a few days back).

There was also an r-steps module on the wiki, but that is almost 8-10 years old, so it is unlikely that it will work without significant changes.

(2) the progress meter can be modified to illustrate 3 (instead of 4)
total pages AND not have the progress meter change between pages 2 and
3 (since I want to view them as the same "page")

I don't know which counter the interaction menu uses. You can try to decrement the userpage counter (\decrement[userpage]) and see if it works.

Ideally, each step should be a subpage and the userpage counter should only increment on a new slide.

If you do not need the interaction part of the interaction menu, but just need a visual progress meter, you can look at my visualcounter package:

http://randomdeterminism.wordpress.com/tag/visualcounter/

For an example see http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~amahaj1/talks/gerad-2012.pdf (the theme is inspired from one of Hans's styles).

Thomas and I also use different progress meters in the simpleslides module which are written in metapost. The visual-counter module is based on the code in simpleslids, but is a separate module so it can be included in other documents as well.

Aditya