On 2-5-2012 06:33, Malte Stien wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am experiencing a problem with \inmargin{some text} in \itemized lists. I am
using them a lot in my documents, and it is kind of annoying. It appears that
if one uses the \inmargin macro just prior to the \item macro, the in-margin
text is typeset against the previous line, not the line with the \item. Minimal
example.

\starttext
\startitemize
        \item This is just a normal completely innocent paragraph against which
one will be able to judge the amount of indentation of the next paragraph.
        \inmargin{Duck}\item This paragraph has a duck inmargin comment
\stopitemize
\stoptext

That seems fair enough and even makes sense on some level. If however, one
reverses the two macros, like so:

        \item\inmargin{Duck} This paragraph has a duck inmargin comment

the leading space just after the closing brace is actually printed. I take this
to be a bug, or is this by design? The only way I can around this is to not use
a space, like so:

        \item\inmargin{Duck}This paragraph has a duck inmargin comment

But I don't find that to be a satisfying solution. After all I am using ConTeXt
because I am a bit pedantic about text, even the source code in this case.

the magin note has to anchor somewhere so the second approach is the best as after all \item can start with doing spacing things

concerning the space ... sometimes you want a space so gobbling the next one is debatable; you can of course wrap the command, as in:

\def\myinmargin#1{\inmargin{#1}\ignorespaces}