On 6-5-2012 13:33, Pontus Lurcock wrote:
On Sun 06 May 2012, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

Am 06.05.2012 um 11:16 schrieb luigi scarso:

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM, Mari Voipio<mari.voi...@iki.fi>  wrote:
http://www.lucet.fi/textiles/
"""
ConTeXt, developed by the Dutch company Pragma Advanced Document
Engineering, is not open source software,
"""
Hm, I'm not sure that it's correct.

ConTeXt is licensed under the GPL, you can find the information in this
document: http://pragma-ade.com/general/manuals/mreadme.pdf

There was previous discussion and clarification on this at
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/12431/using-context-commercially
and
http://archive.contextgarden.net/message/20110301.213750.c7a55835.en.html .

In the past (previous century, first releases) there hqad been some restrictions (i've forgotten which) that had to do with the fact that a third party was using context for a project and that we got notice that lawyers of that company would claimed copyright of context because it had become part of their workflow ... so, we had to make sure that by making context public it could not be used against us (like: we take context, add a few lines, and now it's ours). Then someone convinced us that people who 'd do such things would probably get themselves outcast from any community anyway, i.e. that there is some protection is being part of the tex community.

I think that there are still some recomendations with respect to not using the same filenames for patched files (simply because tex is always a large file infrastructure and we don't want to be bothered with support for such patched). AFAIK that is not much different than with latex.

Anyhow, license discussions are mostly wasted on me.