Hello,

I am not sure if I understand you correctly, but do you directly edit a bbl
file? Normally, a .bib file is made by the user and ConTeXt (and LaTeX as well)
generate the .bbl file for you. Your example works for me using the following
code

\setupbibtex[database={library}]
\setuppublications[alternative=ams]

\starttext
Bla\cite{birn06}

\placepublications[criterium=all]
\stoptext

with a .bib file containing

@article{birn06,
  author = {Dieter Birnbache},
  title = {The Socratic method in teaching medical ethics: Potentials and
limitations},
  year = {1999},
  journal = {Medicine, Health Care and Philosophy},
  volume = {2},
  issue = {3},
  pages = {219-224}
}