On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 12:44 AM, Rogers, Michael K <mrog...@emory.edu>wrote:

> XML seems a nice way for machines to deal with data.  But it's not a very
> human way to speak.  I mean, if I write "\section{One}...\section{Two}"
> isn't it obvious that section One ends when section Two begins?  Why should
> I have to write \endsection, when the machine can do the bookkeeping for
> me?  The start/stop mechanism is nice as an option, if you plan to produce
> an XML document from ConTeXt.  However the XML translator could implement
> "if in_a_section then "</section>"' when \stoptext is reached.
>
> Hm, consider this
\section{One} \input knuth
Text
\section{Two} \input knuth
and
\startsection{One} \input knuth
\stopsection
Text
\startsection{Two} \input knuth
\stopsection

In the last one it's clear that Text is not in the section One  or in the
section Two: In the first one, Text is in section One ---  but how can I
put Text so that is not in section One and not in section Two ?
Most of the time section One  ends where section Two begins, but  it's
not true that *always* section One  ends where section Two begins :  infact
the last one is a legal example.

--
luigi