On Jul 25, 2012, at 1:06 AM, Shriramana Sharma wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:29 AM, Rogers, Michael K <mrog...@emory.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Here's a hack, which sort of works, definitely doesn't handle <return> --
>> there must be a better way.  I hope you don't mind my using your text as
>> text. :-)
>
> Hi thanks for your help. Sorry to keep returning with errors (but as I
> said I'm a noob):

> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.144 \ctxloadluafile
>                     {t-simplefonts}{}
>
> I checked and the package context-modules is installed on my system.

Sorry about that.  You should load your font in your usual way.  As has been
pointed out, this is not a robust solution.

% load your favorite font here
\def\smallcaps{\begingroup\let\par=\space\obeylines\obeyspaces\let\myspace=\space\dosmallcaps}
\def\dosmallcaps#1{\dosc#1\end\endgroup}
\def\dosc#1{% assumes #1 is a sequence of characters
 \ifx#1\end \let\next=\relax
 \else\if#1\space \myspace\let\myspace=\relax% skip repeated spaces
   \else\ifnum\lccode`#1=`#1{\tfx \uppercase{#1}}% change \tfx to your desired
size
     \else #1\fi
     \let\myspace=\space
   \fi
   \let\next=\dosc
 \fi\next}
\starttext
Basically I'm trying to move away from wordprocessors, and while I'm
not looking for meaningless effects like "walking ants"
\smallcaps{(from MS Word)}
to be provided by \TeX\ macro packages, faux smallcaps (and oblique and
bold) is not an unreasonable thing to expect IMO. Not everyone is a
typographer to produce the appropriate fine-typography glyphs for
their favourite font to cater to a particular style. Why should the
system impose
\smallcaps{"super-duper" Typography}
on users when they are willing
to settle for less?
\smallcaps{Look,
returns now work}
%\smallcaps{but \TeX\ and other control sequences do not.}
\stoptext

prohibited.