On 11-8-2012 01:26, Kip Warner wrote:
On Sat, 2012-08-11 at 01:05 +0200, Hans Hagen wrote:
hm, suspicious

Really? It's over 300 pages in length and contains plenty of vector
graphics (more text). But actually that 70 MB seems an overestimate and
I must have been looking at something else.

yes, that's best because as soon as that command is called, the set
value of 'level' is used, no matter what other values has been set

Here is the result of some experimentation:

23,396,929 Bytes using just \setupbackend[level=9].

21,945,243 Bytes using the aforementioned, \pdfcompresslevel9, and
\maximumpdfcompression.

23,396,827 Bytes using none of those three.

So I guess I'm still not sure which one to use since the one you said
should be sufficient doesn't seem to compress it fully.

never use \pdf* commands directly .. way too low level and use the oher
command only for fast tests (i use it in small test files)

I made

\setupbackend[level=9]

listen to that setting also if no 'format' is set. Also, in the report at the end of a run, the compress levels are reported so that you can check it.