On Sun, 14 Oct 2012, Otared Kavian wrote:

Hi Aditya,

It seems that numbering subformulas as described in your « My Way » magazine entitled « Using \startalign » does not work with mkiv. The following minimal example taken from page 6 of the above mentioned manual, does not result in what is described there:

\starttext
\placesubformula
\startformula \startalign
 \NC a_1 x + b_1 y \NC = c_1 \NR[eq:c][c]
 \NC a_2 x + b_2 y \NC = c_2 \NR[eq:d][d]
\stopalign \stopformula
(\in[eq:c]) and (\in[eq:d]) form a linear system of equations.
\stoptext

Is this a known bug?

I can confirm the bug. Using \startsubformulas does not work either.

I don't completely understand the new implementation of ConTeXt numbers, so I cannot suggest an immediate fix for this.

Aditya