On 17-10-2012 18:57, Marco Pessotto wrote:
Marco Patzer <home...@lavabit.com> writes:

Looking at the diffs, many of the differences are really tiny, but
differences exist nevertheless. It will take me some time to sort out
which ones are just tiny space shifting, and which ones give really
different output.

That's why I use a header for each test file. You can specify
“sensitivity=low|medium|high”, this sets a predefined tolerance for
the page difference. I don't see any other option. There is no
single value which is sensitive enough, for instance to detect if a
footnote is subscripted or not and at the same time tolerant enough
not to always mark a fifty page document as “failed”.

I'm not sure that exists a “fuzzy” algorithm for the tolerance. From my
testing, a minimal shift, say, to the right, on a full page will
generate a lot of noise, because each glyph will be “doubled”. I'm
generating, with the visual diffs, a script to launch two PDF viewers and
eventually promote the generated to the new reference.

I guess there is no shortcuts to the manual ispection of the diffs.

vertical shifts are probably more an issue; for horizontal shifts you can use a threshold of .1em because that catches spaces and distances etc but ignores differences in fonts.