On 11/24/2012 1:48 AM, Sietse Brouwer wrote:
The '^' and 'e' all print a '10 ×' at the begining. It's what is expected
for
'e' but not for '^'. Did I miss something?

well, until now ^ and e were equivalent so if that has to change (say ^ no
10) then there need to be agreement about this as it's an incompatible
change

I, for one, would expect 2^3 to mean '2 cubed', not 2x10^3. So I'd be
in favour of this change. Then again, I have no code that depends on
the old meaning...

interesting so then we need a list of more ^2 ^3 ^4 ^5 ... and what about ^1.2

then, what will be the escape for the texlike 2^3? maybe $2^3$, so $ will leave scanning mode

the 2^3 is probably not used that much

--Sietse

P.s. Isn't MkIV known to be unstable? I thought the official advice
was "If you want stability, use (a) MkII, or (b) a stable version of
MkIV, or (c) a dedicated standalone install that you do not update.

so you want instability to be a leading design principle ... i'll think about it