Hi Luigi,

As I said, this example does not produce a PDF file for me.  I will attach
the output.

Undefined control sequence ...
...and it points to \showfontkerns

In previous attempts to load a font file directly, I used a command
structures something like
     [file:FreeSerif.otf*default],
but these never worked for me either,
and you seem to be using some other method.
How should one load the file for this example?

You didn't answer the question: to investigate this behaviour, must I
install a second, newer version of context, or can I use the disro
version?  What is the reason for installing the latest version of ConTeXt?
Is this \showfontkerns only in versions newer than 2012.05.30 11:26 MKIV ?

This \showfontkerns may be interesting to me, generally.  (So I have a
further incentive to get this going!)