On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Aditya Mahajan <adit...@umich.edu> wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Dec 2012, luigi scarso wrote:

>>> Usually, normal users do not have write permissions in /opt directory.
>>
>> If we follow strict rules,  "normal" user should not  install the
>> latest context -- only the admin.
>

> And hence Steve's remark that the installation instruction should
> differentiate between what needs to be dun as root and what as normal user
> (the user run context --make needs to have write permission in TEXMFCACHE).
A normal user cannot even download first-setup.sh and install the files.

But if he can
then he can install context under his home and mkiv works ok -- no
need to be root.
This can be  useful in a server that run context as service -- create
a  user that manage the context, a common pattern
(apache, mysql, postgres, etc).

About /opt ,
it's a location for add-on,  and it's usually unused by standard
distro (so one  leaves the machine clean.): see
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#OPTADDONAPPLICATIONSOFTWAREPACKAGES
In this situation the choice between homedir and /opt is of course a
personal taste, and I prefer to install
general applications (or applications that can be of general utility)
under /opt .

--
luigi