On 2013–01–23 Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM, Marco Patzer wrote:
> >
> > I used the following setup to create a reproducible clean
> > environment without interference of possibly set variables.
> >
> > echo '\sans' >mymodules/t-gnuplot.tex
>
> You should put the file under
>    mymodules/tex/context/third/t-gnuplot.tex
> and not just anywhere on top level of $TEXMFHOME.

That works, thanks. I didn't think about the importance of the tex
file system structure within TEXMFHOME since my personal files
always have been picked up from random subdirectories within
TEXMFHOME.

> At least somewhere under mymodules/tex/ (but I'm not sure if that
> alone is 100% safe - that is - I'm not sure about the search/sort
> order of two files with the same name under a different path inside
> the texmf tree).

mymodules/tex doesn't seem to be sufficient. My tests revealed that
for files not present in the distribution tex tree the location
within TEXMFHOME does not matter. Files present in the distribution
which are supposed to be overwritten in TEXMFHOME need the same
path. Maybe this is more strict than necessary, but it works. A
version mismatch that gets unnoticed can be very frustrating.

> > I didn't know ConTeXt uses kpsewhich.
>
> In MkII it does. But I meant it more like a cross-check. It might be
> that there would be some bug in mtxrun when searching for files and in
> that case kpsewhich may serve as a confirmation that your set up works
> or doesn't work properly.

All right. Problem solved. Thanks Mojca!

Marco