On 2013–03–17 Jonathan Barchi wrote:

> Just curious, does this repo stay up to date the the "official"
> updates from garden?

I assume that's the goal of the repo, but there is no guarantee that
it does.

> I've been using (basically) the scripts suggested on the "minimals"
> wiki page to update when new betas are released, but it would be great
> to be able to this with git instead.

The minimals (or Standalone distribution) contain more than just
that repository. Among other things it provides the binaries, an
update mechanism, fonts, third-party modules and MetaPost modules.
Check your context directory, the repo provides the contents of
texmf-context.

Sure, you can take a current Standalone distribution and replace the
shipped texmf-context with the git repo (which is very handy for
testing and bisecting BTW) but it's not usable for production and
will break after a while. If the other files (especially LuaTeX and
3rd party modules) get out of sync you'll run into errors no one
else can reproduce.

Marco