On 04/25/2013 08:20 AM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
First I think it better if ligatures should be off as a default.

Then you should not be using any form of TeX. ligatures have been part of TeX since its invention (TeXbook, p. 4), and they have been part of fine typesetting since Gutenberg. It's a sad consequence of the advent of abominations like Microsoft Word that people consider them superfluous.

Now, to my actual question.
Is there a way in ConText to selectively true certain ligatures on/ff.
for example fl could be on, but fi off.

I know that I can set up the the editor to do it, or use unicode directly, but
would prefer ConText to do the work.

Opentype fonts put ligatures into certain groups, so turning fi off while keeping fl is a bit difficult. I think you could use a font goodies file and put a zero-width empty space between f and i. There's a file demo.lfg in the standalone distribution which might be of help.

Thomas