Dear all,

I am using the letter module that came with context.   A sample of a basic
letter is below; I have put in "dummy" for the logo and the signature, but
these are working fine when I include the files.

I have several questions:

   1. to center the footer.
   2. to lower the  footer (closer to the bottom of the page)
   3. to delete the word "Date" above the date.
   4. to put the date *above *the recipient address (and how in general do
   I adjust the vertical space here).
   5. to left-justify the date.
   6. to control the foldmarks (for US-letter-size paper, omit, etc.)

I have consulted http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Letter but there are many
things I don't understand.   What is the meaning  of "alternative=example";
what is the option "preset="  in \setuplayer[foot] ?

Also is there a better way to manage color?  I \definecolor, \startcolor,
\stopcolor, but maybe there is a better way to indicate that certain
sections of the letter should be in a color.  Thanks.

Thank you very much for your guidance.

Yours,
Michael

\usemodule[letter]
\setuppapersize[letter][letter]
\definecolor[maroon][h=990033]

\setuplanguage [en] [date={dd, month, year}]

\setupletteroptions
[language=english,
bodyfont={rm,12pt},
]

% Define logo for the first page
\defineletterelement[layer][head][example]%
{\framed[background=logohead,height=25mm,frame=off,align=left]%
{\externalfigure[dummy]}}

% We put our logo in the head
\setupletterlayer[head]
[alternative=example,
x=9mm,
y=10mm
]

\defineletterelement[layer][foot][example]%
                    {\startcolor[maroon] \ss  \tfx The University of
Massachusetts is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Institution.
\stopcolor}
   \setupletterlayer[foot][
     align=centerbottom,
     alternative=example]

\setupletter[
name={Michael Ash},
dept={Department of Economics},
building={Thompson Hall},
street={200 Hicks Way},
city={Amherst, MA 01003-9277},
phone={+1-413-545-2590},
fax={+1-413-545-2921},
email={m...@econs.umass.edu}
]

   \defineletterelement[layer][location][example]%
       {\setuptabulate[bodyfont=normal]
         \startcolor[maroon]
       \starttabulate[|lw(.4\textwidth)|rw(.55\textwidth)|]
       \NC \tfa \sc University of Massachusetts       \NC
              \NR
       \NC \tfa \sc Amherst                           \NC
 \correspondenceparameter{dept} \NR
       \NC                                   \NC
      \NR
       \NC\correspondenceparameter{building} \NC  tel
\correspondenceparameter{phone} \NR
       \NC\correspondenceparameter{street} \NC fax
\correspondenceparameter{fax}\NC\NR
       \NC\correspondenceparameter{city} \NC
\correspondenceparameter{email} \NC\NR
   \stoptabulate
 \stopcolor}

 \setupletterlayer[location]
 [alternative=example,
 x=42mm,
 y=4mm
 ]

\starttext

   \startletter[
       toname={Professor Addressee},
       toaddress={123 West Home Ave.\\Chicago, IL 60614},
       opening={Dear Dr. Addressee,},
       subject={A test letter},
       closing={Best regards,},
       signature={\externalfigure[dummy]\\Michael Ash}
       ]

     Thank you very much for the invitation I am truly honored by the
     opportunity and delighted to attend. I look forward to meeting
     you.  Thank you again for the invitation.

   \stopletter