2013/7/16 Sietse Brouwer <sbbrou...@gmail.com>:
> Thomas Friedrich wrote:
>>> I am switching from texexec to context, and from table to tabulate.
>>> Question: What is the equivalent for \use{2}\ReFormat[c]{text} in the
>>> \table environment, when you what to do the same in the \tabulate
>>> environment? I couldn't find the answer in the context garden.
>
> Wolfgang Schuster wrote:
>> The tabulate environment has no support for spanned cells.
>
> The TABLE mechanism does, though, and that is probably the mkiv
> standard for writing non-trivial tables. It's a bit more verbose, but
> it can do an enormous number of things -- including many things that
> the tabulate mechanism can't. Wiki link:
> http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TABLE
>
> The equivalent of \use{2}\ReFormat[c]{text} would be this (rest of
> table code added to make this example self-contained and compilable):
>
> \bTABLE
>   \bTR
>     \bTD[nc=2, align=center] text \eTD
>   \eTR
>   \bTR
>     \bTD apples \eTD
>     \bTD oranges \eTD
>   \eTR
> \eTABLE
>
> Hope this help!
> Cheers,
> Sietse

Thanks for pointing this out, and I did indeed rewrite the code, so it
would work with the TABLE mechanism. It's a bit like breaking a
butterfly with a wheel. Please have a look at the following code, as I
think I may have found bug in the TABLE mechanism.

The following code does exactly what I want but it has a pretty bad
hack on line 7, where I reference all columns by
[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8][1,2,3] rather than using the [r][1,2,3], since the
latter does not work as expected.  It seems that statements concerning
columns take precedence before statements that concern rows.  In the
example below, \setupTABLE[c][1,2,3][align=right] overwrites
\setupTABLE[r][1,2][align=center] --- no matter where you put the
latter (before or after the former statement). At least for me, this
is rather unintuitive.

~~~ snip ~~~
\enableregime[utf-8]
\starttext
\placetable[here][tab:bcg-study-data]{The table shows results}{%

\bTABLE
\setupTABLE[r][each][align=left]
\setupTABLE[1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8][1,2][align=center]
%%% The following should be equivalest to the line above:
%\setupTABLE[r][1,2][align=center]

\setupTABLE[c][1,2,3][align=right]
\setupTABLE[c][4,5,6,7][width=17mm]
\setupTABLE[r][2][height=\lineheight]

\setupTABLE[frame=off]
\setupTABLE[4,5,6,7][2][bottomframe=on]
\setupTABLE[r][first][topframe=on]
\setupTABLE[r][last][bottomframe=on]
\setupTABLE[r][4][topframe=on]

\bTABLEhead
\bTR
  \bTD[nr=3] Trial \eTD
  \bTD[nr=3] Author \eTD
  \bTD[nr=3] Year \eTD
  \bTD[nc=4] Infected when\eTD
  \bTD[nr=3] {Absolute\\ latitute}\eTD
\eTR
\bTR
  \bTD[nc=2] vaccinated \eTD
  \bTD[nc=2] not vaccinated \eTD
\eTR
\bTR
  \bTD yes \eTD
  \bTD no \eTD
  \bTD yes \eTD
  \bTD no \eTD
\eTR
\eTABLEhead
\bTABLEbody
\bTR\bTD A \eTD\bTD Aronson   \eTD\bTD 1948 \eTD\bTD 4 \eTD\bTD 119
\eTD\bTD 11 \eTD\bTD 128  \eTD\bTD 44 \eTD\eTR
\bTR\bTD B \eTD\bTD Ferguson  \eTD\bTD 1949 \eTD\bTD 6 \eTD\bTD 300
\eTD\bTD 129 \eTD\bTD 274 \eTD\bTD 55 \eTD\eTR
\bTR\bTD C \eTD\bTD Rosenthal \eTD\bTD 1960 \eTD\bTD 3 \eTD\bTD 228
\eTD\bTD 11 \eTD\bTD 2090 \eTD\bTD 442 \eTD\eTR
\bTR\bTD D \eTD\bTD Hart \eTD\bTD 1977 \eTD\bTD 656 \eTD\bTD 13536
\eTD\bTD 248 \eTD\bTD 12619 \eTD\bTD 52 \eTD\eTR
\eTABLEbody
\eTABLE}
\stoptext
~~~ snip ~~~

Is this a bug? Is this a feature?

Thanks.

Thomas

> On 15 July 2013 16:49, Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfg...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Am 15.07.2013 um 16:39 schrieb Thomas Friedrich
>> <friedr...@statistik.tu-dortmund.de>:
>>
>>> Hello ConTeXt users,
>>>
>>> I am switching from texexec to context, and from table to tabulate.
>>> Question: What is the equivalent for \use{2}\ReFormat[c]{text} in the
>>> \table environment, when you what to do the same in the \tabulate
>>> environment? I couldn't find the answer in the context garden.
>>
>> The tabulate environment has no support for spanned cells.
>>
>> Wolfgang

Thomas Friedrich
Fakultät Statistik
Technische Universität Dortmund