On 8/21/2013 1:11 PM, Marco Patzer wrote:
On 2013–08–21 Hans Hagen wrote:

On 8/21/2013 2:25 AM, Thangalin wrote:
Hi,

What would it take to extend \definecolor so that:

   \definecolor[ColourA][ColourB][t=0.5, a=1]

defines a new colour (ColourB) based on an existing colour (ColourA)?

I know that \definespotcolor[ColourA][ColourB][t=0.5, a=1] works, but
it seems like \definecolor would also be a natural fit.

hm, afaik no one ever needed that (normally one defines colors once
on top of the document and there are seldom many of them)

anyhow, as general inheritance is pretty fuzzy i.e. cloning a spot
color and changing some rgb component or cloning a cmyk color and
setting rgb components it will not be a feature of definecolor

I've added \defineprocesscolor that cna be used as follows:

Are you sure it's a good idea to add another colour definition
mechanism? Then we have

   \definecolor

the one i use

   \defineglobalcolor

the one no-one uses

   \definenamedcolor

just a sort of synonym one might forget about (compatibility)

   \definespotcolor
   \definemultitonecolor

special color spaces

   \defineprocesscolor

the one users might use

This is getting a little confusing, in my opinion. If the only
difference between \definespotcolor and \defineprocesscolor is the
colour space check, can't that be dealt with using a key-value
setting?

some are made for speed (when one changes colors a lot in local / grouped cases)

Probably a little late to discuss this, but I also don't see why
\definespotcolor got its own command. A simpler approach: If two
arguments to \definecolor are provided you define a colour, if three
arguments are provided you define a tint of a colour.

well, more checking etc .. also some historic reasons as spot colors are rather special in the sense that they have to built on others .. seldom used anyway i guess