Hi JR,

On Fri, 23 Aug 2013 15:12:54 -0600, J. R. Schmid <j...@weitnahbei.de> wrote:

for better or worse, I'm trying to typeset Arabic poetry in ConTeXt

For better :-)

after having become fed up with LaTeX for a variety of reasons. Arabic script itself is not a problem and I already love how easy it is to use whatever font you like and how clean ConTeXt seems to be in its design.

What is giving me trouble, though, is the face that traditionally, poetry needs to be typeset in two columns. Using an English poem for an example, it'd look a little bit like this:

                 Said Rich Accetta-Evans:

   1 My  poem  delights  me    2 My   poem   is   mine
   3 It is like fresh bread    4 When I bake it myself
   5 It   is  like  my  son    6 The  day  he was born
   [...]

This is to be read in the order of the numbers, so "columns" or "simplecolumns" won't work (I think).

I have an experimental/rudimentary module that does this. It needs some
work to get, e.g., better widths for automatic typesetting in the
high-level code (tracking the dynamic \hsize in ConTeXt) but you are
welcome to try it. See the attached module and test file.

The second problem is the way in which Arabic needs to be justified, namely not by adjusting the space between words, but instead by adjusting the connecting line between letters:

                قال أبو الطيب أحمد بن الحسين المتنبّي

   أنـا الـذي نـظر الأعمى إلـى أدبي  وأسمعـت كـلماتــي مـن به صمم
   كم تـطلبون لـنا عيبًـا فــيعجزكم  ويكره المجد ما تأتـون والكرم
   ما أبعـد العيب والنقصان عن شرفي  أنا الثّريا وذان الشيب والهرم
   [...]

I couldn't find any info on either of these two questions through the documentation or through Google (although I might have been looking for the wrong keywords). Any comments are appreciated! :-)

I'm hoping that this will be implemented in the coming months. Hans and I
have done work on the general case -- involving very advanced
font-features -- but not so much on the simple case -- involving
insertions of tatweel. That may seem counter-intuitive, usually the simple
comes before the complex ;-)

Let me know how things work, and you can write me off-list.

Best wishes
Idris
--
Professor Idris Samawi Hamid