Another small note, since I just walked down the ePUB path: you'll be very
sad to find out that a lot of rendering engines for popular readers are not
consistent, won't render standard XHTML markup correctly (nest an ordered
list within an unordered list and then look at it in adobe digital editions
and several other readers). "But it is just XHML + CSS!" you'll cry, "How
can they not render it correctly?" I don't know, but it was an extremely
frustrating process. I even contacted adobe to try and report this nested
list bug to them... their suggestion was that I could *pay* them to work
with "content experts" who would help me "correct" my source so that it
would render "correctly."

The best reader imho is iBooks on the iPad, nothing else, from what I've
seen, comes close. But that is one expensive eReader. :(