On 8 sep. 2013, at 17:01,  Marco Patzer <li...@homerow.info wrote:

> On 2013?09?08 Robert Blackstone wrote:
>
>> In my project I have all figure captions located above the figure.
>> How can I move also these subcaptions to the top, to a position
>> just below the main caption?
>
> As far as I can see, this is not supported by the combination
> mechanism because the captions in combinations are not implemented
> using the float captions mechanism.
>
> What you can do instead, is using a float caption and a float
> combination, which will respect the global caption setups.
>
> \useMPlibrary [dum]
>
> \definefloat
>  [combinationfloat]
>  [combinationfloats]
>  [figure]
>
> \setupcaption
>  [combinationfloat]
>  [number=no]
>
> \setupcaptions
>  %% [location=bottom]
>  [location=top]
>
> \starttext
>  \startplacefigure [title=Foobar]
>    \startfloatcombination [2*2]
>      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=alpha] \externalfigure
> \stopplacecombinationfloat
>      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=beta]  \externalfigure
> \stopplacecombinationfloat
>      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=gamma] \externalfigure
> \stopplacecombinationfloat
>      \startplacecombinationfloat [title=delta] \externalfigure
> \stopplacecombinationfloat
>    \stopfloatcombination
>  \stopplacefigure
> \stoptext
>
> Marco

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your solution. It took me a while to harmonize your new float with
my other floats in my document setups. These are all placed on the left side of
the page and that caused yor float to move almost off the page.
So I added:

\setupfloat[combinationfloat][location=middle,spacebefore=medium,spaceafter=medium,sidespacebefore=medium,sidespaceafter=medium]

and now it works beautifully.

There is, however, another complication which makes that unfortunately I cannot
use your solution "out of the box" in all situations.
The paired figures in my particular project are often of different size, in
particular of different height, (but small enough to be placed side by side).
The author wants not only the figure captions at the top, but also the figures
themselves.
I did not mention this complication because, a) I had found a hack to place
both figures at the top, and b) I had not expected that the solution for the
problem I posted would be a new type of float instead of a new type of
combination.

So now the captions are at the top but the figures are not. (Law of
Conservation of Misery)

I will use your solution when the figures are of the same height and can be
placed at the bottom

You're far more experienced and ingenious in these matters than I am, so
perhaps you have a solution for this additional problem, positioning figures of
different sizes at the top too. (I should mention, however, that I have a
fall-back solution, which consists of adding another line to the caption with
info about the two figures in the combination)

Thank you very much  anyway.

Best regards,

Robert