On 9/30/2013 11:44 AM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2013, Lars Huttar wrote:
>
>> I found \start and \stop referenced in the context reference manual
>> (e.g. section 5.5).
>> While \startXYZ - \stopXYZ pairs are discussed earlier, I can't find any
>> place that \start and \stop (with no suffix) are described.
>> They seem to be used like \bgroup and \egroup. Is that right?
>> They are defined in core-sys.mkiv, but I can't figure out from there
>> what they actually do.
>
> (Untested, based on what I remember):
>
> \start = \bgroup
> \stop  = \egroup
>
> but \start scans the next argument, so there are situations when
> \start may fail but \bgroup works.
>
> \start[whatever] ... \stop = \startwhatever ... \stopwhatever

Ouch, that sounds like two very different behaviors, depending on
whether an argument is present.

I think I'll document \start at
    http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command/start
but take the usage of it out of the ref man's examples, replacing it
with { and }, as long as the examples still work. It's not important to
any of the examples.

Thanks, Aditya and Luigi, for the quick assist.

Lars