FYI,

I didn't know that the font was corrupt. I have over 400 fonts on my
machine, and had to reload to pick up the new ones. You'll find that
having a large number of fonts will start to become a common situation
as more fonts become public (e.g., Google's Free Web Fonts project).
This increases the chances that some of those fonts will be corrupt.

It is a low priority, but a corrupt font should not cause a program to
hang or crash. The software should exit gracefully, and perhaps
strongly suggest to standard error that the user investigate that
particular font file.
For my particular application, eventually I will allow users to upload
custom fonts. If they upload a font that is corrupt (accidentally or
intentionally), a run-away process would make for a rainy day.

Kindest regards.