Thank you very much for the advice on configuring AUCTeX to compile context
files.

Inserting the following snippet in my .emacs (emacs configuration) file
worked.

(eval-after-load 'tex
  '(add-to-list
      'TeX-command-list
      '("ConTeXt" "context --nonstopmode %t"
        TeX-run-TeX nil (context-mode) :help "Run ConTeXt")))

This fix is imperfect because even though context runs properly, AUCTeX
reports "ConTeXt: problems after [0] pages"

AUCTeX doesn't believe that the file has been compiled and C-c C-c offers
to run context again. It is necessary to select "View"

Some googling suggests that the return codes from context are not properly
interpreted by AUCTeX.  I'm not sure if this is a context
non-standardization or an AUCTeX problem.  thoughts?

Best,
Michael