Hi Thomas!

···<date: 2013-11-14, Thursday>···<from: Thomas A. Schmitz>···

> Dear list,
>
> today, I have an announcement to make and a call for contributions. We
> have obtained a medium-sized grant at my university to further
> development of ConTeXt. Specifically, our project wants to facilitate
> typesetting critical editions after the TEI xml standard and
> bibliographical data. Luigi will be employed as a full-time developer
> for the next 6 months (he signed his contract today); Hans will
> coordinate the work flow.

Great news!

> So this is good news. Now for the call for contributions: we invite you
> to send in examples in those two areas (critical editions, i.e.
> linenotes cum suis, and bibliographical data, aka bib-module) which show
> where ConTeXt could be developed.

What I’d consider the most pressing issue, pertaining both to
Context and to TeX as a whole, would be text streams a.k.a.
parallel typesetting. It was discussed on the list a couple times
already and at one point someone collected examples [1]. Also, I
sketched the current state of parallel texts elsewhere [2].

>                                   so please send examples to the list
> that show limitations or bugs, ask for new features, etc. if you want
> new features in the bibliography department, please do not send vague
> requests

I have a working albeit hackish (manual page-breaking ftw)
implementation for the plain format which I wasn’t able to port
to Context due to the much more complex page model of the latter.
Example output:

    https://phi-gamma.net/pdf/example-3.pdf

To minimize the vagueness ;-) I could share the sources but I
doubt it’s of much value in its present state.  Besides, it does
not work with current Luatex due to changed callback signatures.

>          ("it would be nice if we could have hungarian reference
> systems") but small examples which show a precise feature and a possible
> syntax for it.
>
> of course, i can't promise that we will be able to act on all your
> submissions, but i'm optimistic that this project will make our favorite
> software better!

Looking forward to status reports! Will the improvements be
directly merged into Context or do you prefer releasing it as a
self-contained module?

Best regards,
Philipp

[1] http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2010/051693.html