On Feb 17, 2014, at 5:51 PM, ntg-context-requ...@ntg.nl wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 9:23 PM, John Kitzmiller wrote:
>> I attempted to put ConTeXt minimal on Samsung chromebook and got:
>>  Error: your system "Linux armv7l" is not supported yet.
>>
>> This is not a request to support the armv7l (unless it is trivial) but,
>>
>> is it futile to attempt installing minimal on a chromebook with Intel ATOM
>> N570, or Intel Celeron-867? (If I had them at hand I would try.)
>
> It is trivial provided that someone is willing to compile the latest
> LuaTeX. Well, there might be some issues with different flavours of
> arm architectures (I'm not sure how to distinguish one from another).
>
> Can you please try if these binaries work (there are two arm binaries,
> I'm not sure which ones are the proper ones)?
> - http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/bin/
> Or if you are able to install TeX Live?
> - http://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html
>
> If so, I'll add the necessary architecture to the list.

I installed Ubuntu on the chromebook using crouton
(http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343)
 and then apt-get context which gave a texlive version for armhf; also got vim
and evince. From terminal under Ubuntu, which runs on top of ChromeOS, context
foo.tex compiled a Hello World and a \startMPpage figure. That much worked.

This made me think the link for armhf-linux above might work without Ubuntu,
but I am not skilled enough to use the trunk/Master--I got a text sym-link and
a 7.3mb luatex file that I can not yet make executable (command not found.)

The texlive/acquire-netinstall results in 'Permission denied' even with sudo on
the chromebook.

I have not yet tried Martin's approach with the .deb files but wanted to report
back and thank you both for your suggestions.

John