Am 22.02.2014 um 01:25 schrieb Jan Tosovsky <j.tosov...@email.cz>:

> On 2014-02-22 Jan Tosovsky wrote:
>>
>> when hanging in footnotes is enabled and the starting character is a
>> punctuation, it is not protruded. However, the same character in the
>> footnote body works fine. When both cases are close each other, it
>> looks weird, see the screenshot:
>>
>> http://drifted.in/other/footnote_alignment.png
>>
>> Would it be possible make this behaviour uniform - either do not
>> protrude it
>> on the starting (left) edge or protrude it everywhere?
>>

> A minimal example is available at
> http://drifted.in/other/sample.tex

There are two things which prevent the protrusion of the opening quote at the
begin of the paragraph. One of these can be avoided with a change in the setup
for footnotes but not the other without destroying the layout of the footnote
text.

One problem is the way how context places the footnote number in front of the
text, by default context uses the \llap command to move the number into the
left margin but this prevents also the protrusion of the opening quote. You can
avoid this problem when you change the footnote setup to
\setupnotation[footnote][alternative=margin].

<example>
\definefontfeature[default][default][expansion=quality,protrusion=quality]

\setupbodyfont[modern]

\setupalign[hanging]

\showframe[text][text]

\starttext

»Text«

\noindent\hbox to 0pt{}»Text«

\noindent\hbox to 0pt{\hss}»Text«

\stoptext
</example>

The second problem which prevents the opening quote to protrude are the struts
which are added by context at the begin and end of the footnote content and
there is no way to disable them because they are needed to have proper spacing
between the individual footnote texts on the same page.

<example>
\definefontfeature[default][default][expansion=quality,protrusion=quality]

\setupbodyfont[modern]

\setupalign[hanging]

\showframe[text][text]

\starttext

»Text«

\strut »Text«

\stoptext
</example>

In the example below where I took care of these two problems (don’t take care
of \begstrut in this way in your real document because it will cause many
problems, it’s just for educational purpose) to show you this is what caused
the unwanted output.

<example>
\definefontfeature[default][default][expansion=quality,protrusion=quality]

\setupbodyfont[modern]

\setupalign[hanging]

\showframe[text][text]

\setupnotation[footnote][alternative=margin,align=hanging]

\starttext

\let\begstrut\relax

First Footnote.\footnote{»\input{ward}«}

Second Footnote.\footnote{»\input{ward}«}

\stoptext
</example>

Wolfgang