You have seen them in books from O'Reilly and
even in books like "TeX for the Impatient":
markings on the outer edge of each odd page that
bleed past the page edge indicating a particular
chapter. In the last named they are a simple
box with very fine horizontal black lines. In some
O'Reilly books like "Web Design in a Nutshell"
they are a black box with the chapter name
(possibly abbreviated) rotated 90 degrees in
small white text.

No doubt I can do this in Context. The question
is what is the simplest and most foolproof way
home.

Of course the page size will be made larger by
0.125 inch on all sides except the spine edge to
provide a trim. The marker box I describe
protrudes into the trim area. And its location
and the text  change for each chapter of
course.

It is very hard in this country to get a book
review by the important pre-publication
reviewers like Booklist and Library Journal. But
that review is the key to among other things
library sales and academic sales. Edge markings
like I discuss above will immediately separate my
books from those slapped together in MSWord etc.

I am just trying to get my books past the clerk in
the mail room who has orders to discard anything
that looks self-published.

--
John Culleton
Wexford Press