On 3/22/2014 8:17 AM, Otared Kavian wrote:
Hi Sanjoy,

I agree with you to say that the position of subscripts and superscripts in
mkiv is not perfect: the same remark applies to the position of the derivative
sign « prime » as $u’(t)$.

Actually in mkii (and also in plain TeX) the positions of the superscripts in
your example are the same, but this is not the case with subscripts:
        $x_{3}\ x\mathstrut_{3}$
that is in mkii the latter $x\mathstrut_{3}$ gives a lower subscript, while in
plain TeX both subscripts are positioned at an identical depth.

I would say the position of subscripts and superscripts in mkiv should be
identical with one gets with the latest beta (version 2014.03.20 16:59) in the
following example
        \starttext
        $x\mathstrut_{3}$ and $x\mathstrut^{3}$
        \stoptext

However as Hans pointed out, regarding maths typesetting in mkiv there are also
some font related issues.

we have a more modern implementation in the next beta